Heart Transplant Program
Become a Patient
Heart Transplant Evaluation
To determine if you will benefit from a heart transplant, both you and your family will go through an extensive evaluation. During this process you will undergo tests, meet our staff, learn about transplantation, and have your concerns about heart transplantation addressed. Some of the tests include:
- Laboratory bloodwork
- Echocardiogram – an ultrasound test that provides pictures of your heart's valves and chambers
- Right heart catheterization – a procedure to evaluate the heart valve function and the volume of blood circulating through your heart
- Exercise stress test
As part of the patient’s health care journey, we also consult with your family members to ensure you receive the support you need throughout the entire transplant process.
Heart Transplant Eligibility
After completing the initial tests, your physician’s will evaluate a variety of criteria. Successful candidates will have the following characteristics:
- End-stage cardiac disease as a result of poor cardiac function or uncontrollable ventricular arrhythmias that can no longer be treated with medications and/or surgeries
- Absence of serious disease or other medical obstacles to long-term survival
- Under 68 years old, with a high likelihood of becoming healthy, functional individuals with a life expectancy of at least five to 10 years
- A clear understanding of the transplant procedure and its limitations, as well as the ability to comply with long-term follow-up requirements
- A strong support network of family and/or friends
- The psychological ability to manage the stresses of transplantation
- Free of active drug, tobacco or alcohol abuse
How Can We Help You Today?
Need help? We will be delighted to assist you today, so please call us at 404-778-7777. We look forward to hearing from you.