Emory University Hospital Midtown: A Full-Service Hospital

mother and daughter

A Tradition of Healing

Each year, more than 150,000 patients arrive at our doors to receive highly specialized medical care and to benefit from the groundbreaking research and innovative treatments available through Emory University. Since opening nearly a century ago as a 26-bed sanatorium, we have become one of the nation’s leading community-based, acute care teaching facilities, nationally recognized in fields such as cardiology and heart-related diseases, reconstructive surgery, maternal and infant care, orthopaedics and gastrointestinal diseases.


Who is Emory University Hospital Midtown?

Emory University Hospital Midtown is a 511-bed community-based, acute care teaching facility and full-service hospital located in Midtown Atlanta. A part of Emory Healthcare, the hospital offers a full range of services, which include general medicine, maternal and infant care, orthopaedics and surgery.

Emory University Hospital Midtown is staffed by 600 Emory medical faculty and 800 community physicians. More than 23,205 inpatients and 143,961 outpatients come to Emory University Hospital Midtown each year. Patients receive care from community-based physicians, physicians of The Emory Clinic and from a highly-trained staff of nurses and other clinical professionals.

Medical services include 56 intensive care beds, a level III neonatal intensive care unit (NICU), and four hyperbaric oxygen units. This full-service hospital is well known for services in cancer, cardiology, cardiac surgery, gastroenterology, and emergency medicine. Women's services include prenatal and postnatal education, bone density testing, mammography, and obstetrics, with a specialization in high-risk pregnancy.

Please call the Emory University Hospital Midtown Physician Referral Line at 404-778-2000 with any questions or concerns.

return to top


History of Emory University Hospital Midtown

full service hospitalThe birth of the Emory University Hospital Midtown medical complex occurred in 1908 with the founding of the 26-bed Davis-Fischer Sanatorium. This full-service hospital filled an urgent need for top quality operating facilities in Atlanta. Three years later, founders Dr. E.C. Davis and Dr. Luther Fischer moved the hospital to its present site, bounded by Peachtree Street, West Peachtree Street, Linden Avenue and Pine Street.

In 1931, the full service hospital was renamed in honor of Dr. Crawford W. Long, the Georgia physician who was the first to use ether anesthesia during surgery. Visitors to the hospital's museum may see some of Dr. Long's personal artifacts and medical memorabilia from the hospital's early days.

Today, Emory University Hospital Midtown and the physicians and staff at our full-service hospital continue to build relationships with the metro Atlanta community through employee participation in charity events such as walkathons, screenings for prostate cancer and other health concerns, facilitation of support groups and holiday events. In addition, Emory University Hospital Midtown works with many Atlanta corporations to promote employee health and wellness.

From a 26-bed sanatorium to a tertiary care facility with more than 550 beds, Emory University Hospital Midtown has a rich heritage. For more than 85 years, our full-service hospital has established a solid foundation for outstanding quality health care and medical integrity for Atlantans and the Southeast.

Learn more about the history of Emory University Hospital Midtown in Atlanta, Georgia.

return to top

Learn more about the Emory University Hospital Midtown.