Heart & Vascular:
Conditions & Treatments
- Nearly 5 million Americans are currently living with congestive heart failure (CHF).
- Approximately 550,000 new cases are diagnosed in the U.S. each year.
- Congestive heart failure affects people of all ages, from children and young adults to the middle-aged and the elderly.
- Almost 1.4 million persons with CHF are under 60 years of age.
- CHF is present in 2 percent of persons age 40 to 59.
- More than 5 percent of persons age 60 to 69 have CHF.
- CHF annual incidence approaches 10 per 1,000 population after 65 years of age.
- The incidence of CHF is equally frequent in men and women, and African-Americans are 1.5 times more likely to develop heart failure than Caucasians.
- Heart failure is responsible for 11 million physician visits each year, and more hospitalizations than all forms of cancer combined.
- CHF is the first-listed diagnosis in 875,000 hospitalizations, and the most common diagnosis in hospital patients age 65 years and older.
- In that age group, one-fifth of all hospitalizations have a primary or secondary diagnosis of heart failure.
- More than half of those who develop CHF die within 5 years of diagnosis.
- eart failure contributes to approximately 287,000 deaths a year.
- Sudden death is common in patients with CHF, occurring at a rate of six to nine times that of the general population.
- Deaths from heart failure have decreased on average by 12 percent per decade for women and men over the past fifty years.
To learn more heart failure statistics:
NewsView all News
Emory Healthcare news from the Emory News Center
Photos: Emory Denim Day
April 25, 2017
New study uses freezing technique to target vagus nerve and obesity
April 24, 2017
Father, son share special bond; both receive cochlear implants
April 21, 2017
Photos: Ebola care team attends 'Facing Darkness' screening
April 20, 2017
Ready, set, go! for Heel to Heal Superhero 5K and Fundraiser
April 18, 2017
SIBR program shows teamwork in healthcare
April 17, 2017
Expert Q&A: The antibiotic resistance threat
April 12, 2017
Christy M. Norman joins Emory Healthcare as vice president of pharmacy services
April 07, 2017
Medical faculty recognized by their Emory peers on Doctors' Day
April 05, 2017
CMS report: eICU program reduced hospital stays, saved millions, eased provider shortage
April 05, 2017