Conditions & Treatments
Top 8 Things To Do After Wisdom Teeth Surgery
- Rest with your head elevated, not flat on your back.
- Take pain medication as prescribed by your doctor.
- Eat soft foods and drink cool, smooth drinks (like our Chocolate-Peanut Butter-Banana Smoothie).
- Don't use a straw. The sucking action can loosen the blood clot in the extraction site, causing dry socket, which will delay healing.
- Place an ice pack on the outside of your cheek for the first 24 hours and then use moist heat to soothe the pain.
- On days two and three, rinse gently with warm salt water to reduce swelling and relieve pain.
- Don't smoke. Smoking can contaminate the site and cause dry socket (see #4).
- Relax and enjoy being waited on for a few days! Before you know it, you’ll be back to normal.
NewsView all News
Emory Healthcare news from the Emory News Center
Photos: Emory Denim Day
April 25, 2017
Two Emory Healthcare nurses inducted as fellows into American College of Critical Care Medicine
April 25, 2017
New study uses freezing technique to target vagus nerve and obesity
April 24, 2017
Father, son share special bond; both receive cochlear implants
April 21, 2017
Photos: Ebola care team attends 'Facing Darkness' screening
April 20, 2017
Ready, set, go! for Heel to Heal Superhero 5K and Fundraiser
April 18, 2017
SIBR program shows teamwork in healthcare
April 17, 2017
Expert Q&A: The antibiotic resistance threat
April 12, 2017
Christy M. Norman joins Emory Healthcare as vice president of pharmacy services
April 07, 2017
Medical faculty recognized by their Emory peers on Doctors' Day
April 05, 2017