& Primary Care
Providing coordinated, continuous and integrated health care services
Primary care serves as you your main point of contact for healthcare in non-emergency situations. Think of this type of healthcare as the hub of your entire health care regiment, the central point where your overall care is coordinated and integrated by a primary care physician with other care providers and specialty physicians.
At Emory Healthcare, our primary care physicians are board-certified and dedicated to providing patient- and family-centered care. Many of our primary care physicians focus on specific types of primary care, including family medicine, general internal medicine, geriatrics and gynecology and obstetrics.
When you choose one of our primary care physician, you get physicians who work with specialists in Georgia’s most comprehensive academic health system. They can coordinate your care with other Emory physicians serving in more than 70 specialties and have access to more than 1,000 clincal trials.
Why Primary Care is Key to Long-term Health
Some of the key benefits of primary care and of having a primary care physician:
- Provides preventive care and guidance on how to achieve a healthy lifestyle
- Diagnoses and treats acute common medical conditions, such as cold, flu, infections, etc.
- Determines the severity of your medical problems, so he or she can direct you to the most appropriate care provider
- Refers you to medical specialists when a condition requires more targeted treatment
- Treats and manages chronic diseases such a high blood pressure, cholesterol and diabetes and coordinates with your specialist on this care.
In primary care, a primary care physician makes sure prescribed medications are compatible with each other or with supplements you may already be taking. Over time, your primary care physician learns your health history and what is most important to you and your long-term wellness. This high-level oversight ensures all of the treatments, medications, therapies and recommendations from various providers are as effective as possible.
Even if you are relatively healthy right now, things can and do change. This is especially true of millennials who are in the perfect position to establish health and wellness baselines with a dedicated primary care provider.
Internal Medicine & Primary Care
Find a Physician
Browse online or speak directly with a nurse. We'll help you find the Specialist or Primary Care Physician that’s right for you.