Emory Saint Joseph’s Hospital is Atlanta's longest-serving hospital, founded by the Sisters of Mercy in 1880. Four sisters, with just 50 cents between them, opened the Atlanta Hospital — the city’s first after the Civil War.
What started in a small house on Baker Street is now a 32-acre campus in north Atlanta. It was renamed Saint Joseph’s Hospital in the 1970s. Our mission is the same today as it was over 130 years ago — to provide compassionate care, especially to those in need.
Today, the 410-bed, acute-care facility is recognized as one of the top specialty-referral hospitals in the Southeast. Emory Saint Joseph’s is a leader among all Georgia hospitals and is part of the Emory Healthcare system.
In 1995, Emory Saint Joseph's Hospital achieved Magnet® recognition from the American Nurses Credentialing Center (ANCC) as a reflection of its nursing professionalism, teamwork, and superiority in patient care. In 2019, Emory Saint Joseph's Hospital earned its sixth straight Magnet designation, making it the first community hospital in the world to earn six consecutive designations.
Furthering the healing ministry of the Sisters of Mercy, Emory Saint Joseph's Hospital gives tangible expression to Christ's merciful love by providing compassionate, clinically excellent health care in the spirit of loving service to those in need, with special attention to the poor and vulnerable.