Conditions & Treatments
Reproductive tract abnormalities can affect the uterus, fallopian tubes, ovaries and internal lining of the pelvis (peritoneum). Women with these abnormalities may have a variety of symptoms including pelvic pain, infertility, abnormal bleeding or no symptoms at all. Women who experience symptoms, or have a problem detected at the time of their annual gynecologic evaluation, should have a complete evaluation by their gynecologist to determine whether they have a reproductive tract abnormality. These problems may include the following:
- Ovarian cysts are ovarian enlargements caused by problems related to ovulation or caused by growth of abnormal tissues on the ovaries.
- Endometriosis is when the uterine (endometrial) lining grows in locations outside of the uterus such as in the fallopian tubes, ovaries, bowel or bladder.
- Uterine fibroids are benign muscle growths that develop in and on the uterus. They often cause heavy menses (periods).
- Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID) is an infection of the endometrium (the lining of the uterus), the fallopian tubes or the ovaries.
- Polyps are a nonmalignant growth or tumor protruding from the mucous lining of an organ
These abnormalities must be treated in a timely manner to maintain or restore optimal functioning of these organs. Reproductive endocrinologists are specially trained to manage these abnormalities with medical and surgical therapies. Because not every woman should be treated in the same way, these specialists can give patients the most up-to-date information on treatment possibilities and discuss which options are most appropriate for each woman.
Call 404-778-3401 to make an appointment with one our reproductive endocrinologists.
NewsView all News
Emory Healthcare news from the Emory News Center
Photos: Emory Denim Day
April 25, 2017
Two Emory Healthcare nurses inducted as fellows into American College of Critical Care Medicine
April 25, 2017
New study uses freezing technique to target vagus nerve and obesity
April 24, 2017
Father, son share special bond; both receive cochlear implants
April 21, 2017
Photos: Ebola care team attends 'Facing Darkness' screening
April 20, 2017
Ready, set, go! for Heel to Heal Superhero 5K and Fundraiser
April 18, 2017
SIBR program shows teamwork in healthcare
April 17, 2017
Expert Q&A: The antibiotic resistance threat
April 12, 2017
Christy M. Norman joins Emory Healthcare as vice president of pharmacy services
April 07, 2017
Medical faculty recognized by their Emory peers on Doctors' Day
April 05, 2017