Cardiothoracic conditions require expert care to treat diseases of the chest, esophagus, heart, and lungs. From transplants to robotic assisted minimally invasive surgery, we give you the gold standard of care.
Cardiothoracic Surgery Program
Specialty Care for Heart, Lung, Chest and Esophagus
Experience You Can Trust
Our cardiothoracic surgeons are pioneers in advancing cardiothoracic surgery. We:
- Performed the world’s first minimally invasive, off-pump triple-bypass surgery in 1997
- Offer treatments that reduce the risk of pain, bleeding, and infection
- Rank among the nation’s top heart transplant hospitals
- Are nationally recognized for our expertise in robotic-assisted cardiac surgeries
In addition to providing advanced, leading-edge care, our team works to improve the future of cardiothoracic surgery by:
- Researching new techniques
- Training the next generation of cardiothoracic surgeons
Cardiothoracic Surgery Services
Our physicians and surgeons are experts in a range of cardiothoracic specialties. Our specialty centers include:
- Aortic Center. We treat and manage a full range of treating aortic conditions and diseases.
- Cardiac Surgery. We use more off-pump coronary artery bypass procedures than any hospital in the country. This leads to better health after surgery.
- Complex Airway Disorders. Complex Airway Disorders often result in problems with your voice or difficulty swallowing correctly. If you are experiencing problems with your breathing, windpipe (trachea) or voice box (larynx), the team of experts at the Emory Complex Airway Program can help you achieve the best possible outcome.
- Heart transplant. We are Georgia’s busiest heart transplant hospital. We performed the state’s first transplant in 1970.
- Robotic surgery. We perform minimally invasive procedures, which means less pain and a quicker recovery for you.
- Structural heart and valve. We offer expert care for structural heart and valve conditions.
- Thoracic surgery. We treat conditions that affect organs in the chest, such as the esophagus and lungs.
Top Quality Cardiac Care
Our cardiac surgery team achieved top performance rankings in the Society of Thoracic Surgeons Adult Cardiac Surgery Database. The database is the gold-standard source of data for quality cardiac surgery programs.
Three stars denote the highest category of quality among cardiac surgery programs. We earned three-star ratings in 2019 for:
- Coronary artery bypass graft procedure. We also maintained our three-star performance in the previous three years. Only 7.6% of programs earned the three-star rating.
- Mitral valve repair and replacement. Only 6.3% of programs earned the three-star rating.
Make an Appointment with Emory’s Cardiothoracic Surgery Program
To make an appointment, please call 404-737-1480.