The Emergency Department (ED) is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and is staffed with emergency medical physicians and nursing specialists at all times. The entire ED staff is committed to providing you and your family with the highest quality of care in a private, comfortable setting. All patients are treated regardless of payment and insurance arrangements.
Emergency Department Triage
Triage is a critical process of quickly assessing each patient's needs and medical priorities. During triage, a nurse will ask you the following:
- Reason for visit
- Medication(s) currently taking
- Any medication allergies
- Medical history
Additionally, the nurse will assess your vital signs, including your blood pressure, pulse, respiration, and temperature. After evaluation by the triage nurse, you may be brought into the treatment area immediately or directed to the waiting room. Patients receive medical attention according to the perceived severity of their symptoms, illness, or injury. Therefore, patients are evaluated in the order of medical necessity, rather than in order of arrival. This includes patients transported to the ED by ambulance.
Although certain patients may not appear critically ill, their history, assessment, and vital signs alert ED staff of the need for immediate attention. All patients should refrain from eating and drinking before seeing the physician due to the requirement of specific tests and procedures that may be necessary to perform during your evaluation.
Emergency Department Registration
If your condition does not allow you to register, you will be brought directly to the treatment area. A family member may provide the information, or the registration staff will obtain the information at the bedside once your condition permits.
Privacy and Confidentiality
The hospital respects the privacy and confidentiality of patients, and will only use or disclose patient information to the extent necessary for purposes of treatment, payment, and hospital operations, and as authorized by the patient, under a court order, or as otherwise permitted or required by law.
Furthermore, upon registration, you will be provided with the Patient's Bill of Rights and the Hospital's Notice of Privacy Practices, which describe how the hospital will protect the privacy of your personal medical information.
Insurance, Billing and Financial Information
During the registration process, you will be asked to provide your insurance card(s) and a photo identification card that includes your home address.
Copies are maintained to ensure the accuracy of the information entered into the computer system. Please note that all emergency services are billed separately, and you may receive two or more individual billing statements for the services rendered.
The ED staff is prohibited from discussing financial information or answering questions relative to insurance coverage with patients who are receiving emergency care. If you have specific questions or concerns regarding your insurance coverage, please contact your insurance company directly at your earliest convenience.
Emergency Department Discharge
- The discharge paperwork that we reviewed with you should be reviewed again when you get home. Information on continued care is included in this discharge folder.
- Please follow up with the provider/physician/specialist that we discussed during your visit here at the Emergency Department. The name and phone number of the follow-up provider is listed in your discharge folder.
- Take all prescription medications exactly as directed. Refills are not ordered by the Emergency Department medical providers, so you will need to follow up with your physician for refills.
- Physicians affiliated with Emory Healthcare will have access to your Emergency Department visit records and test results.
Helpful phone numbers:
- Medical Records 678-843-7303
- Radiology Department (copies of radiology tests) 678-843-7340
- Emory Health Connections (to find a primary care physician or specialist) 404-778-7777
- Emory Healthcare Billing Department (hospital billing) 404-686-0525
- Emergency Care of Atlanta (physician billing) 855-691-9890
- Emory Saint Joseph’s Hospital Main Number 678-843-7001
- Emergency Department 678-843-7166
- Patient Advocate Department 678-843-5121