We are excited to offer patients with 3D Mammography, otherwise known as Tomosynthesis. With 3D Mammography, our radiologists view breast tissue layer by layer, helping to see inside the breast with great detail, especially in areas with overlapping tissue. This capability has proven to reduce the number of call-backs by 20 to 40 percent and detect more cancers, particularly in women with dense breast tissue.
The exam is approved for all women eligible for a screening mammogram and is given at the same time as a traditional 2D mammogram.
Advantages of 3D Mammography:
- Greater chance for cancer detection
- Reduction in false-positives
- Reduction in call-backs (especially for women with dense breasts)
- Better visualization and confidence for physicians
- Less anxiety for patients
For more information on 3D mammography, please see our Frequently Asked Questions.