Welcome to The Emory Sleep Center
We're one of the country's leading diagnosis and treatment centers for all forms of sleep disorders, including insomnia, sleep apnea, restless legs syndrome (RLS), periodic limb movements (PLM), narcolepsy, sleep maintenance, and parasomnia.
Epworth Sleepiness Scale (ESS)
The ESS measures a person’s general level of daytime sleepiness, or their average sleep propensity in daily life. It is a simple questionnaire to test how likely you are to doze off or fall asleep in certain situations. Even if you have not done some of these things recently, try to work out how they would have affected you.
Use the following scale to choose the most appropriate number for each situation.
- Sitting and reading = ?
- Watching TV = ?
- Sitting, inactive, in a public place (e.g., a theater or a meeting) = ?
- As a passenger in a car for an hour without a break = ?
- Lying down to rest in the afternoon when circumstances permit = ?
- Sitting and talking with someone = ?
- Sitting quietly after a lunch without alcohol = ?
- In a car, while stopped for a few minutes in traffic = ?
Now determine your total score and where you rank on the Epworth Sleepiness Scale:
1 to 6 – Congratulations, you are getting enough sleep!
7 to 8 – Your score is average
9 and up – Seek the advice of a sleep specialist without delay
For more information or to make an appointment, please call 404-712-7533
Emory Sleep Center Highlights
- Our world class sleep medicine research takes place everyday, learn more
- New discoveries made in the treatment of hypersomnia, learn more
- Accreditation by the American Academy of Sleep Medicine (AASM) signifying the highest standards of clinical quality
- How to 'unplug' our minds for a restful night's sleep, learn more
- Dr. David Rye was featured with Dr. Sanjay Gupta on CNN discussing sleep disorders, learn more
How Can We Help You Today?
Need help? We will be delighted to assist you today, so please call us at 404-778-7777. We look forward to hearing from you.
Find Treatment Locations
Matching Emory Locations
No MatchSee Location Results
Matching Emory Specialists
No MatchSee Specialist Results
Talk to Our Nurses
Registered nurses can help you find a location or specialist that’s right for you.
404 778 7777
Latest Research & InnovationView all research and innovation
Emory Transplant Center performs its first HIV-positive kidney transplant from HIV-positive deceased donor
February 14, 2017
About Our Clinical Trials
Our new clinical trials site makes it easy to access nearly 1,000 Emory studies.
Advancing your health
Your opportunity to interact with doctors, staff and patients.
About Our Clinics
Our physicians and surgeons are responsible for some of the most significant innovations and treatments in the country.