Emory University Hospital's tradition of healing dates back almost a century. In March 1904, our predecessor, Wesley Memorial Hospital, was chartered with 50 beds. The hospital was housed in a downtown Atlanta mansion that had been spared from destruction by General Sherman's army during the Civil War.
By November 1922, the hospital had grown too large for its quarters and moved to its current DeKalb County site on the Emory University campus. The new 275-bed facility was a gift of Asa G. Candler, philanthropist, and founder of The Coca-Cola Company.
In the mid-1930s, our name was changed to Emory University Hospital. The university and the hospital bear the name of Bishop John Emory, who presided at a meeting of the Georgia Methodist Conference in 1834 when delegates decided to establish a Methodist college in Georgia.
Emory University Hospital is continuously expanding. With the arrival of the Hospital Tower on the Clifton Campus, Emory expands services and expert care, while creating an integrated, welcoming, and spacious environment for patients and their families. The 450,000-square-foot facility will join Emory University Hospital via a two-story bridge crossing Clifton Road.