Making the decision to grow your family is an exciting one, and it calls for a little extra care and attention. The entire Women’s Health team at Emory Healthcare can help you plan and prepare when you decide the time is right to have a baby. Whether you need fertility services, genetic testing or screenings or just have some questions about what you should do to start your pregnancy on the right foot, we’re here to deliver proven, trusted and compassionate care.
Obstetrics & Prenatal Care
Planning for Pregnancy
Find Answers and Get Advice When You’re Trying to Conceive
The First Step. Talk With Your Doctor
When it comes to conception, your first thought may not be to schedule an appointment with your obstetrician-gynecologist (OB-GYN), but it’s important to a healthy pregnancy. Your doctor will:
- Ask about your medical and family history to determine if you may be a high-risk pregnancy or need genetic counseling or testing.
- Help you make a plan to reach and maintain a healthy weight.
- Highlight the impact of drugs, alcohol and smoking on a pregnancy and help you make a plan to quit or seek help with addiction.
- Make sure you’re up to date on vaccinations and learn which ones to get before, during and after pregnancy, including the flu, COVID-19 and Tdap vaccines.
- Recommend avoiding exposure to certain environmental chemicals before and during pregnancy such as cat litter, hair dye (for the first trimester) and some bug sprays.
- Review your prescription medications to ensure they’re safe to take during pregnancy.
- Share the latest recommendations for individuals trying to conceive.
- Suggest a prenatal vitamin (one with 400 micrograms of folic acid)
- Talk to you about the importance of exercise and healthy eating before and during pregnancy.
Comprehensive Pre-Conception Care, Tailored to You
The road to pregnancy isn’t always an easy path. Sometimes, you may need additional help and support from a compassionate team of women’s health professionals. Find the care that’s right for you:
Request an Appointment
To request an appointment online, please use the link below or call 404-778-3401.