The Emory Healthcare (EHC) Administrative Fellowship Program is a two-year, full-time paid position that provides future healthcare executives with opportunities to gain an in-depth understanding of hospital and clinic-based healthcare operations in an academic medical center environment. Fellows take part in hands-on, operationally, and financially focused projects and participate in various leadership activities that nurture professional growth. Furthermore, fellows are exposed to high-level strategic planning and other health system functions, including marketing, human resources, and information technology.
Administrative Fellowship Program
The EHC Administrative Fellowship is designed to develop strong leaders for Emory Healthcare and the healthcare industry by providing Fellows the opportunity to:
- Direct reporting relationship to a Chief Executive Officer or a member of the senior leadership team who, in collaboration with the fellow, will develop plans for the duration of the fellowship, as well as for their career
- Develop broad competencies in operations, strategy, and finance
- Engage in projects or initiatives specific to their unique interests and skillset
- Gain exposure to high-level strategic planning and other health system functions, including marketing, human resources, and finance
- Develop mentoring relationships with EHC executives and management teams
- Participate in various leadership activities that nurture professional growth
Administrative Fellows have the unique opportunity to engage with several executive leaders from both individual hospital entities and the system level. As a way of furthering these conversations and mentoring relationships, Fellows are able to select preceptors based on their areas of interest and preferred work environment. Preceptors are chosen for the Fellowship Program based on their demonstrated commitment to the Fellowship and serve as the Fellow's mentor and offer professional guidance each year of the program.
Orientation - During the first few weeks of the Program, fellows participate in informational interviews with Emory Healthcare's senior leadership team.
Committee Meetings - Fellows rotate among key committees to gain a broad background and understanding of Emory Healthcare. By observing leaders, fellows gain awareness of various decision-making processes and challenges facing today's executives.
Clinical Shadowing- Fellows have the opportunity to rotate through various clinical departments within the hospitals and clinics at EHC. The clinical rotations are intended to give fellows exposure to working with physicians, nurses, and other clinical staff, as well as an opportunity to observe frontline procedures and patient care. These are scheduled at the fellows' discretion.
Senior Leadership Meetings - Fellows meet on a regular basis with Emory Healthcare senior executives to discuss fellowship progress, professional development opportunities, and current healthcare issues.
Projects - The fellow and his/her preceptor select mutually beneficial assignments for the fellow, the specific healthcare entity, and the health system. Past projects include implementing process improvement projects, utilizing change management, developing business plans and pro formas, implementing new systems/software, and managing construction renovations.
Evaluation - Fellows receive informal feedback on an ongoing basis and are officially evaluated by their preceptors each year.
Class of 2024-2026 Application Information
Applicants should have a master's degree in Business Administration, Healthcare Administration, Public Health, Public Administration, Nursing Administration, or an equivalent degree program. Applicants must have earned their degree prior to starting the program, except for programs that require residency or fellowship. Prior work experience in healthcare, including internships, and demonstration of leadership through community involvement or professional associations is preferred.
- Administrative Fellowship Webinars
- Tuesday, July 11, 2023 from 5:00 PM – 6:00 PM EST
- Registration Link: https://emoryhealthcare.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_rjRNPystTV6HQ2P6KPNavg
- Thursday, August 10, 2023 from 12:00 PM – 1:00 PM EST
- Registration Link: https://emoryhealthcare.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_eCqhJBsZR4qzIsbHOPGdMQ
- Application Opens: June 30, 2023
- Application Deadline: September 5, 2023, 10:00 AM EST
- Interview Timeline:
- Phone Interviews: September 13th, 14th, 15th, and 18th
- Final Interviews: September 28, 2023
- Offers Extended: Week of October 2nd, 2023
Program Start Date: June 2024
To be considered, qualified applicants must complete ALL the following steps:
Step 1 – Complete the General Application Form
Step 2 – Submit Required Application Materials
Materials should be prepared, combined in one (1) merged PDF, and submitted via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line, “Last Name, First Name_2024 Administrative Fellowship Application.”
- Current Resume / CV
- Two Signed Letters of Recommendation (2)
- Undergraduate Transcript (official or unofficial)
- Graduate Transcript (official or unofficial)
- Personal Statement that encompasses the following in a single-spaced, 500–750-word essay:
- What stimulated your interest in healthcare as a career?
- Why are you interested in completing an administrative fellowship at Emory Healthcare?
- What personal/professional experiences have prepared you for an Administrative Fellowship?
- What are your post-fellowship goals and how will an EHC Administrative Fellowship help you achieve these goals?
All application materials must be submitted in a merged PDF document and submitted via email by 10:00 AM EST on September 5th, 2023.
In accordance with EEOC guidelines, Emory Healthcare is committed to equal opportunity in employment and education. Discrimination against any individual for reasons of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, disability, or service in the uniformed services is specifically prohibited.
S. Noel Luell
Program Manager, EHC Administrative Fellowship Program
For further inquiries about the Emory Healthcare Administrative Fellowship Program, please email us at email@example.com.
Current & Previous Emory Healthcare Administrative Fellows