Some types of epilepsy cannot be successfully treated with medications or with other minimally invasive techniques. In these cases, epilepsy surgery is often the best chance of seizure control. Surgery is generally considered only after you have tried at least two anti-seizure medications without satisfactory results.
Epilepsy surgery involves the removal of a small area of the brain cortex where electrical seizures begin. These carefully planned procedures are based on a comprehensive EEG, brain imaging and neuropsychological tests to avoid injury to areas of the brain that support motor activity, language, memory and other important functions.
A variety of highly specialized surgical techniques are available to patients, and our skilled and experienced epilepsy neurosurgeons have some of the best patient outcomes in their field. Approximately 80 percent of patients with temporal lobe epilepsy (the single most common form of epilepsy) gain complete control of their seizures after surgery, while most of the remaining 20 percent report significant improvement.
Other types of epilepsy surgery, in addition to temporal lobe surgery, must be individually determined for the particular patient.